Φίλοι του Σιδηρόδρομου Θεσσαλονίκης

Railway Museum of Thessaloniki

  • Increase font size
  • Default font size
  • Decrease font size
Welcome

Welcome to the website of the association "Friends of the Thessaloniki Railway" and the Railway Museum of Thessaloniki which operates with the care of the club.Objectives of the association is the preservation, promotion and dissemination to the public, and especially the history of the significant presence of the Railway in Greece .The club tries to spread the love for the train and support the modernization and development of Greek railway .The preservation and promotion of Macedonia and Thrace railway history and heritage, is shown through the exhibits of the Railway Museum of Thessaloniki.In our museum anyone can feel that the clock of history has stopped striking.The visitor can live some of these moments watching, touching, listening to the heart of the history of the railway and Thessaloniki city too.The rare collection of exhibits, objects, archival material from "older times" are here, thanks to great effort and passion of our members who preserved and kept them well from the ravages of time.In our museum you can admire ,besides the other exhibits, rare steam locomotives,wagons, drezinas,the excellent restaurant wagon and the sleep­ing car which were parts of the legendary train  "ORIENT EXPRESS".Many thanks to the founding members of the club for their significant contribution to the creation and support of the museum and especially to the Honorary President Mr.Kontopoulos for their efforts.We wish you a good navigation on the website and we are waiting for you to the mu­seum to enjoy it.

Building history

The building of the Military Station (Station Militaire) of the Railroad company «Jonction - Salonique - Constantinople» at Thessaloniki.
Located on the west side of Thessaloniki about 500 meters after the flyover bridge Monastiriou str. route to the exit of the city, between the main railway lines and Monastiriou str.The building was built in the late 19th century during the Ottoman rule. Specifically constructed from 1891 until 1894 by the Italian architect Pierro Arigoni subsequent manufacturer of Casa Bianca in 1911. A similar form of buildings can be met in many OSE stations in northern Greece, but not as elaborate. The building has a distinct architectural style, with particular morphological elements, cruciform plan with symmetry axis perpendicular to the rail lines, symmetrically arched openings, round skylight on the lateral sides for ventilation of the roof and pseftoparastades. Wooden intersecting roofs, exterior wooden beams tied with artistic skill and "heart" beating more than 106 years of continuous rail istorias.To whole building is surrounded by an uncovered enclosure area for outdoor events in a single historical landscape.

Ο Σύλλογος στην 82η Διεθνή Έκθεση Θεσσαλονίκης

There are no translations available.

Ο Σύλλογος "Φίλοι του Σιδηροδρόμου Θεσσαλονίκης", σε συνεργασία με τον σύλλογο "Φίλοι του Σιδηροδρόμου Ελλάδος" συμμετέχει στην 82η Διεθνή Έκθεση Θεσσαλονίκης στο Περίπτερο 15 στα σταντ τόσο του Ο.Σ.Ε όσο και της ΓΑΙΑΟΣΕ, με όμορφα σιδηροδρομικά εκθέματα, μοναδικά κομμάτια, που μεταφέρθηκαν από το Σιδηροδρομικό Μουσείο Θεσσαλονίκης για τις ανάγκες της ΔΕΘ.

 

Read more...

ΕλληνικάEnglish

Timeliness

Επισκέψεις

We have 3 guests online

Sponsors